Managing waste is a significant opportunity for industry and business to benefit the environment as well as increase profitability and productivity through improved efficiencies and reducing waste-related costs. The best sustainable approach to managing waste is not to produce it in the first instance. More often we produce unnecessarily amount of waste. By following these simple tips you can cut down on waste.
- Only print when you really need to. If you do, print on double sided paper
- Switch off you computer before leaving work - don't leave it on standby all day
- Don’t use disposable materials such as plastic cups
- Don't over-order materials-eliminates the need for waste disposal
- Reuse materials when possible. For example, packaging from suppliers can be reused to transport your own products
- Identify the materials you can collect for recycling and collect them seperately. Materials that can be recycled include tins and cans, paper, cardboard, glass and plastic bottles
- Do your own waste management system. This will help you assess how you can minimise waste and adopt recycling practices that contribute to good environmental outcomes
How Do I Conduct a Waste Management System?
- Discover how and where your waste is clilected, and how it is disposed
- Define the types of waste you produce
- Outline the legislation you need to comply with and how you do it
- Develop a plan to reduce waste
- Establish waste reduction targets
- Ensure your targets and objectives are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-limited
- Make it clear who is responsible for meeting any waste targets
- All staff need to be aware of what the waste management plan is setting out to achieve and what their responsibilities are in relation to it.
- Review and monitor progress. Regularly scheduled formal reviews to ensure that the measures contained in your waste management system are being implemented
- Remember that all waste contractors clilecting waste have to be authorised waste carriers. It is the responsibility of the industry/ business to ensure that this happens. A list of authorised waste carriers can be requested from the Centre.